Saturday, March 27, 2010

Wow I need to work on hills

So I did my first longish ride of the year outdoors today. It was about 45 deg. and pretty windy when I set out, and I was definitely a little underdressed for the conditions. I especially regret not wearing my neoprene shoe covers. The first 10 miles or so were with the wind at my back on mostly flat multi-use trails. That was a lot of fun, but I knew in the back of my head thee would be a price to be paid for coasting at 24 MPH with very little effort. Then I get out in the wind-swept rolling hills of Iowa, on county roads north of the airport in Waterloo, heading into the wind for the first time. Holy crap that was tough, I haven't ridden in that kind of wind yet this year. There are also several pretty big hills in this stretch, and my legs are definitely not strong enough for those yet. Something to work on. Next was a turn toward Denver, with a nice crosswind trying to blow me over, and guess what, more hills. Once I got to Denver, I figured at least I would have the wind helping somewhat on the way back. Uh, wrong answer. The crosswind only intensified, and there were times I was struggling to stay upright. Finally I turn and get a couple miles with a tailwind, instantly up over 30 MPH, which is always a blast! But those last 10 miles against the wind were just brutal, a real test of mental and physical toughness. My toes were pretty much numb from the cold at that point. But I'm glad I got out there, these sufferfest types of days definitely help mentally come race day. 2 hour run tomorrow, hopefully my legs are feeling rested...

No comments:

Post a Comment